International conference of experts: ‘One world. No slavery.’
Even today, there are 40 million people suffering from exploitation, coercion and violence – in a word: modern-day slavery. Each and every day, these people live and work under conditions that violate their human rights and their dignity.
To kick off the new thematic focus of the Guardian Angel Campaign [Aktion Schutzengel], ‘One world. No slavery.’, by missio, on 22 and 23 June 2021, leading experts in politics, business, and civil society convened for an online conference on structures and effective approaches to overcoming modern slavery. Under the auspices of Dr. Gerd Müller, German Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, they identified the sources of slavery-like practices, showcased best-practice examples of ways to escape exploitation, and showed what each one of us can do to help eliminate modern-day slavery.
In addition to Minister Dr. Gerd Müller, keynote remarks were also provided by Nobel Peace Laureate Kailash Satyarthi.
The conference focussed on the following topics:
- Modern slavery on the Internet: The dirty business of online abuse of children;
- The new slavery in Africa: The cycle of exploitation based on the example of mobile phones;
- Women are not a commodity: Human trafficking and forced prostitution in Germany;
- Labour migration and exploitation: In Germany, Qatar and the Philippines;
- Charity doesn't end in the shopping basket: Best practice examples in Germany.
Recording of the conference stream
We have recorded the entire conference for you.You can find all recordings of the English conference stream on the following page:
Recording of the conference